Hands-On U.S. History
Our teacher-Led U.S. History and Social Studies courses are led by certified American teachers who teach K-12 kids U.S. History, Civics/Government, Economics and Geography in a fun, creative and engaging way. Students complete U.S. Education Standards while working one hour a week at the time that is most convenient for them. Our program is 100% reimbursable for most DoS and DoD kids based overseas.
Choose from 2 options: Mini-Course or Full-Course
1. Hands-On U.S. History Mini-Course (3 Months)
In 2018 we partnered with EFM business Afterschoolplans.com to bring their fun-filled, standards-based American History in A Box to the hands of our students. These boxes have been developed by a certified American History teacher and include books, puzzles and games for a fun, interactive way to guide students along US Education Standards. As students complete the American History in a Box activity book, they email their work to their Twiga Tutors teacher and Skype for further discussion and review. This course is three months and available for K-8 students.
2. Hands-On U.S. History Full Course (9 Months)
Looking for a U.S. History course that is 100% hands-on, unplugged (no computers :)), inquiry-based, aligned to education standards and fun? Welcome to Hands-On U.S. History for Grades K-12! Our teachers develop monthly activities based on your child’s interests so they can explore, research and create hands-on U.S. History projects. Students work one hour a week including a weekly 15-minute Skype call with their teacher to discuss progress, ask questions and identify next steps. Examples of projects include planning a trip around the United States, creating the social media profiles of American historical figures, or writing a newspaper article based on three interviews with people who were alive during the Vietnam War.
Hands-On U.S. History includes a personalized USA Discovery Kit mailed monthly to your door with books, games and more to inspire and delight each and every student. Prizes sent when students successfully complete three projects. Warning: Parents might get excited about this too! Enroll Now!
- A Dedicated, Certified American Teacher: Teacher works 1:1 with your child to engage, inspire and explore America’s History. We do not have group classes.
- Self-Paced Coursework: One hour of recommended learning time per week that students complete at the time and place that is most convenient for them.
- Special Needs and Gifted Students: Our ESE/SPED certified teachers adapt the content, pace and materials to accommodate the needs of Gifted and Special Needs students.
- 3 or 9-Month Course options: Choose either a 3-month Mini Course (10 Lessons in U.S. History and Geography) or 9-month Full Course (30 Lessons in US History, Geography, Economics and Civics/Government).
- Reimbursable for DoS/DoD students abroad: Our program is 100% reimbursable for most DoS and DoD kids based overseas.
- Start Anytime: Students can start anytime and we have programs for students in Grades K-12. Enroll Now!
|Summary of Twiga Tutors Hands-On U.S. History Courses|
|Mini Course||Full Course|
|Weekly 1:1 Support from a Certified American Teacher||X||X|
|1 Hour of Learning Each Week||X||X|
|Self-paced: Students work at anytime, from anywhere||X||X|
|3-Month Mini Course, includes 3 Skype sessions with the Teacher||X|
|9-Month Full Course, includes weekly 15-minute Skype sessions with the Teacher||X|
|U.S. History, U.S. Geography, U.S. Civics/Government & U.S. Economics Topics||X||X|
|Aligned to U.S. Education Standards||X||X|
|Teacher-adapted for Special Needs and Gifted Students||X||X|
|Monthly USA Discovery Kit Mailed to Your Door||X|
|American History in a Box Mailed to Your Door||X|
|Prizes mailed each time a student completes three projects.||X|
|Inquiry-based, hands-on, standards-aligned curriculum. Course is created by a certified teacher based on each student’s individual interests and skill level to make learning an engaging, fun and rewarding experience.||X||X|
|Unplugged learning. Students work with paper, scissors, paint, and glue for messy, learning fun!||X||X|
Jennifer Dinoia – We were in the pilot program, and our son has really been enjoying it. We started off with the math program to ensure he was at grade level (we assumed so, but…), and then headed over to social studies. He’s brushing up on American history, and really enjoying the program. He will even beg for the program to delay bedtime. Thanks again for including us!
LeeAnn T. – My 9 year old daughter has been enjoying this pilot program! She has especially enjoyed the U.S. Social Studies since she clearly isn’t getting that in Bangkok! Thank you Christianna Pangalos! I encourage everyone with school aged children to check it out!