While living overseas so many of our globally mobile students miss out on great American novels being studied in classrooms across the U.S.A. American Literature, taught from Grades 3-12 in the U.S. includes classic favorites like Charlotte’s Web, A Wrinkle in Time, Little House on the Prairie, The Great Gatsby, The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Raisin in the Sun and many, many more. These novels provide insight into the history, culture and people of the United States and form the foundation for understanding American culture today.
With our American Literature Program, teachers guide students through some of America’s greatest novels in a fun and engaging way, allowing them to gain a deeper understanding of the history and culture of the place they call ‘home’. The course structure includes:
- One book a month – These books are pre-selected by the parents, students and teacher based on the student’s interests and reading level. The books are all mailed in advance. See our book lists below!
- Personalized Learning Plan – Once the books are selected, our teachers create a personalized learning plan with assignments that are based on the student’s learning interests and skill level.
- One Assignment a Month – These are identified by a certified American teacher, aligned to U.S. Education Standards and based on the book being read. The assignments are developed in accordance with each individual student’s interests and skill level to deepen comprehension and inquiry-based learning skills.
- Live, 1:1 tutoring with a certified American teacher – The student is able to ask questions, present assignments and deepen critical thinking skills through 1:1 live interaction with a certified American teacher. One hour per month. The minutes can be split up as needed, e.g. 15 mins weekly, or 30 mins twice a month, depending on the student’s needs and structure of the assignment.
- 3-month and 9-month Enrollment Options – Parents and students choose between a short course and longer course. We can also do 6 or 12 months. We’re flexible!
- Anytime, Anyplace – Our teachers are based worldwide and can work with your child in any timezone at the time that is most convenient for him/her.
- Add a Friend! – Sometimes learning is more fun with a friend. With our American Literature course, your child can share his/her reading interest with siblings or friends near or far. You can add friends (at post or from anywhere in the world) and our teachers will create a tailor-made course for the students. Each student that enrolls will receive a FREE factbook on famous American authors.
100% Reimbursable for Many DoS and DoD Kids Living Abroad!
If you and your family are posted overseas with the Department of State or Department of Defense and your school at post does not teach American Literature, you may be reimbursed for the cost of the course. More information can be found in the DSSR 276.9 on Supplementary Instruction.
Parents and students can choose from these American titles currently being taught in schools across the U.S.A.:
|Grades 3 to 5||Grades 6-9||Grades 10-12|
AUTOBIOGRAPHIES, BIOGRAPHIES, MEMOIRS
NOVELS ABOUT RACE AND ETHNICITY
|Do you have an American novel or author in mind that is not on our list? Let us know and we will add it in!|